When the club was established in 1904, it boasted a small timber clubhouse and six grass courts. In the 1930s, the courts were re-laid using shale, and in the early 80s, the clubhouse was extended, adding a new bar, lounge and cloakrooms. In the mid-1990s four courts were laid with a synthetic grass surface, and in 2002 our remaining shale courts were upgraded to all-weather hard courts, with floodlights. Three years ago we planned the next move – to convert three courts to porous macadam-based hard surface, and retain three synthetic grass courts. This was completed in early 2011. Future improvements in the pipeline include upgrades to our Clubhouse plus floodlights for two more tennis courts. During its 100-year history, the Club has been well supported generally, but the death of the landlord in the 1960s caused a financial crisis. To buy the freehold, the Club had to raise a large loan. Economy measures were introduced, which caused many members to move to other clubs. By 1975, the membership had dwindled to an all-time low of 24, so it was decided to hold a winding-up meeting. However, the majority of members were determined to keep the club going. New local tennis and social members were urgently sought. The clubhouse facilities were also offered to a table tennis club. As membership and finances improved, the club’s long-term future was secured, and the freehold mortgage taken out in 1962 was fully paid. Today, the Club continues to thrive, with more than 200 tennis, social and other members, including over 80 juniors and over 80 social and table tennis members. Currently, the Club enjoys an active membership and has a body of volunteers who give their time and energy to support and promote the Club and all its activities.